E-Commerce Disruption Pushes Ag Retailers to Focus on Distribution and Service
February 1, 2019
- E-commerce remains a relatively small but growing segment of the overall agricultural retail marketplace.
- Online ag retail startups are compressing margins for traditional ag retailers through increased competition and price transparency.
- E-commerce platforms that lack a physical footprint will struggle to fully serve farmers, especially in the tight and uncertain time windows endemic in production agriculture.
- Traditional ag retailers are doubling down on their competitive advantages while building their online presence.
- An omni-channel strategy will be necessary for ag retailers to survive and grow in the digital age. This strategy requires investing in technologies to allow multiple avenues for farmers to interact with an ag retailer including through an online platform.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.