Agronomy Outlook: Not the Spring Ag Retailers Hoped For
April 3, 2019
- The farm supply sector will be stressed in the year ahead on the combined impacts from inclement weather and strained farm financials.
- Ag retailers will be put to the test in a compressed spring agronomy season beset with bad weather, adding to the pressure from last fall’s poor weather. Some ag retailers may incur additional costs as a result.
- Poor spring weather also puts sales and service revenue at risk from a shifting acreage mix and potentially higher prevented planting acres.
- Stressed farm financials will continue to negatively affect ag retailer margins and impact farmer decisions that could reduce sales volumes.
- The fertilizer segment may be a lone bright spot as prices move higher this spring and acres potentially shift out of soybeans and into corn if spring weather improves.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.