Consumers Calling the Shots: Desire for Transparency is Reshaping Dairy Supply Chains
January 1, 2019
- Dairy consumers are increasingly removed from the farm and are seeking more transparency when it comes to how and where their food was made.
- Demands for transparency take many forms and will continue to grow and evolve with consumers’ incomes, diets, and demographics.
- Meeting these evolving demands provides opportunity for some dairy producers, cooperatives, and processors, but will require re-working supply chains into greater segmentation and direct contracts with farms.
- Procuring milk that meets specific emerging demands involves paying premiums to incentivize farms to undertake costly new production practices and involves the risk that consumer preference may shift toward something else in a short period.
- Dairy farmers located near consumer centers can tap into higher value markets by marketing directly to consumers to capitalize on consumer desire to be more connected to the farm.
- Cooperatives are able to tap into existing value by promoting their family-farm owned structure and may see opportunities to segment and manage premiums within their own milk supply.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this report is not intended to be investment, tax, or legal advice and should not be relied upon by recipients for such purposes. The information contained in this report has been compiled from what CoBank regards as reliable sources. However, CoBank does not make any representation or warranty regarding the content, and disclaims any responsibility for the information, materials, third-party opinions, and data included in this report. In no event will CoBank be liable for any decision made or actions taken by any person or persons relying on the information contained in this report.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.