Self-Driving EVs Could Overwhelm the Data Center Market. Can the Industry Respond?
February 17, 2022
- Auto manufacturers are making precedent-setting investments as they pivot away from internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles to electric vehicles (EVs). These investments are laying the ground work on the path to self-driving EVs.
- Some of the obvious challenges to self-driving EV adoption are safety, social acceptance, and regulatory restrictions. But another major challenge is the impact these vehicles will have on the data center market.
- Self-driving EVs are expected to generate unthinkable amounts of data that will have a profound impact on the markets for data center storage and computation.
- While technology developments like efficient hyper-scale data centers and on-board processing may provide long-term solutions, there’s an enormous chasm today between the existing infrastructure and what is needed to support widespread adoption of self-driving EVs.
- The amount of capital required to build the data center infrastructure for self-driving EVs is so massive that it begs the question: Without major technological advancements in compute and storage processes, will the industry be able to handle the deluge of data self-driving EVs will generate?
Disclaimer: The information provided in this report is not intended to be investment, tax, or legal advice and should not be relied upon by recipients for such purposes. The information contained in this report has been compiled from what CoBank regards as reliable sources. However, CoBank does not make any representation or warranty regarding the content, and disclaims any responsibility for the information, materials, third-party opinions, and data included in this report. In no event will CoBank be liable for any decision made or actions taken by any person or persons relying on the information contained in this report.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.