Partnerships Are Key for Rural Telecom Operators in Burgeoning Edge Computing Market
October 4, 2022
- Edge computing is distributed information technology architecture where data is stored and/or processed at locations close to where the applications are being used.
- Edge computing has been on the come for several years, but the growth in machine learning and AI technologies are enabling new applications that depend on edge computing.
- The global edge computing market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 37.3% between 2022 and 2031, according to Transparency Market Research.
- The advantage of edge computing is two-fold: cost and latency. New applications need ultra-low latency network performance to operate properly, and it might be cheaper to store and process data in a more decentralized fashion versus in the cloud.
- For rural telecom operators, edge computing offers some new business opportunities. But partnerships will be key – a “build it and they will come” approach is probably not the right strategy.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.