Breeding Beef with Dairy Brings New Value to Marketplace
August 24, 2023
- Abysmally dry weather conditions across the U.S. have led to extensive culling in the beef cow herd and will tighten beef supplies for years to come.
- Beef bulls cross-bred with dairy cows (beef x dairy) will benefit dwindling beef supplies, but the impact will be relatively small.
- We expect the utilization of beef genetics in dairy will add a revenue stream for dairy producers, and adoption of beef x dairy should continue to grow.
- Feeders and packers that feed and process 100% dairy-bred cattle currently could see their bottom lines improve when switching to beef x dairy, but those that feed high-quality 100% beef cattle may struggle to benefit from these technologies.
- Moving forward, technology considerations such as specified mating decisions can lead to more consistent, healthier, higher-quality product to support producers down the beef supply chain.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this report is not intended to be investment, tax, or legal advice and should not be relied upon by recipients for such purposes. The information contained in this report has been compiled from what CoBank regards as reliable sources. However, CoBank does not make any representation or warranty regarding the content, and disclaims any responsibility for the information, materials, third-party opinions, and data included in this report. In no event will CoBank be liable for any decision made or actions taken by any person or persons relying on the information contained in this report.
Stay ahead of the game in your field. Subscribe today.
Get CoBank's industry-leading Knowledge Exchange research reports delivered straight to your inbox as soon as they're released.
Have a comment or question about these reports?
Contact CoBank's Knowledge Exchange team to ask questions, engage with analysts or receive additional information.